Important things to remember
Know Your Recycling
8 July 2020
Unsure of what you can put in your recycling bin?
Waste and recycling staff have put together some new information that you can find on our website. Print it out and put it on your fridge!
Important things to remember are:
- Council no longer accepts plastic in recycling bins.
- Plastics marked 1, 2 & 5 shouldn’t be bigger than 3 litres.
- Soft drink bottle, milk bottle, yoghurt and ice cream container lids are not recyclable.
- Items should be put into the Recycling bin clean and loose – if you put recycling into a plastic bag for tidiness – it makes it non-recyclable at the sorting centre.
- Nylon strapping and Polystyrene are non-recyclable.
- Soft plastics are non-recyclable (any that can be scrunched in your hand eg bread bags).
- Chip and biscuit packaging aren’t recyclable (unless it has a 1, 2 or 5 on it).
Watch out for red stickers!
Waste officers are completing random checks on kerbside recycling bins. If your bin is checked and contains non-compliant items, it will be red-stickered and in some cases won’t be emptied.
If your bin gets a sticker, please remove any non-compliant items as indicated by the sticker. Your recycling bin can then be put out for collection on the next recycling day.