Information about Rates
1 April 2020
Installment Four Rates Notices – Covid-19
The Covid-19 pandemic has changed the world’s situation dramatically.
- Councils are responsible for providing a number of services that are essential to keeping people healthy and safe throughout the Level 4 Lockdown and beyond.
- These services include ensuring households have safe drinking water, that the waste water system keeps operating, rubbish is collected, public transport is available to get essential workers to work, burials and cemeteries can take place, essential roading and safety repairs are made, emergency services (Civil Defence) are on hand, and flood protection is being monitored.
- Council staff that are not needed to keep essential services operating have been deployed to back-up and support these services.
- Your rates are what pays for these staff and services to keep operating and help our community stay healthy and safe.
- The Government has provided a large package to support people’s incomes, including working with banks to provide mortgage holidays. People who have lost their jobs or are on reduced incomes may qualify for the Accommodation Supplement administered by the Ministry of Social Development through Work and Income.
- Please do not just stop paying your rates or cancel your direct debit. If rates are not paid then our recovery will be slower, more painful and more expensive next year.
- If you are experiencing hardship, please contact us to discuss and arrange a payment plan.
- Remember that there are other places that you can go to get help, including your bank.
Ways to pay your property rates
- Set up a direct debit payment for your property rates. Direct Debit form available online.
- Pay property rates online using a credit or debit card.
- Set up an automatic payment for property rates.
- Telephone banking through your bank.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our rates officer email@example.com or phone 03 756 9036.