Work continues on Hokitika Swimming Pool
15 November 2021
Delays to the Swimming Pool work programme have occurred due to the Covid lockdown and level 3 protocols. Delays of pre-ordered supply items and materials due to Auckland lockdown have also set the programme back. This has caused a six-week overall delay to the original programme.
Despite the delays, contractors have been working hard to complete this stage of the project and to date have:
- Installed new structural beams to the portal roof.
- Installed additional steel bracing system to the roof.
- West wall gable end structural framing has been completed and the recladded the wall.
- In early November, scaffolding was erected at the East gable end wall ready for the new structural bracing and re-cladding.
- The upgrade of the L4 fire protection system has been completed to the main hall and controllers for the system will be installed tested and commissioned last week of November.
- Electrical upgrade of the building is underway with the new distribution board arriving at the end of November.
- Upgrade of the emergency lighting is completed.
- Heating to the main pool area is underway with completion expected in the middle of November.
- The new accessible showers and toilets are being constructed and will be completed by the end of November.
Council intends to hand back the premises to Destination Westland in December to prepare for reopening.
Photo Credit: Westland District Council