From the Rates Office
18 May 2021
Are you eligible for a rates rebate of up to $655 for the 2020/2021 rating year? Applications must be received by 30 June 2021.
Background & criteria
- Maximum rebate is $655.
- Income abatement threshold is $26,150 (Note: Your income can be greater than $26,150 and you may still be eligible for a pro-rata rebate – please contact the Rates Department).
- Additional income allowance for dependants is $500 per dependant.
- You must be the ratepayer on our records AND reside at the address for which you wish to apply for a rebate as at 1 July 2020.
- Rebates are intended for residential properties only. Properties used principally for commercial, industrial or farming purposes or in the name of a business are not eligible.
- Retirement village residents with licence to occupy agreements can now apply for a rates rebate from the rating year beginning 1 July 2020. (Retirement village residents with a licence to occupy do not own the property they live in but they do have a contractual right to occupy it).
- If you are granted a rates rebate, Council will credit the rebate to your rates account.
- In order to process a rates rebate application, you will need to advise your TOTAL income BEFORE TAX for the year of 1 April 2019 to 31 March 2020. Total income declared must include the income of spouse/partner if they are residing at the address on 1 July 2020.
Income includes (but is not limited to):
- New Zealand Superannuation
- Work and Income Benefit
- Wages or Salary
- plus others
Find out more and download an application form here.