Further support for Businesses
9 April 2020
NZTA Fuel Excise Refunds
In some cases, NZTA can offer businesses refunds of fuel excise duty that is imposed by the government on fuel, except diesel. If your vehicle is used for the following purpose you may be entitled to a refund of excise duty (including the ACC levy) and GST:
- as fuel in an exempted vehicle
- as fuel in a road user charges-licensed vehicle
- as fuel in a commercial vessel
- for search and rescue purposes in a dedicated rescue vessel
- for commercial purposes other than as fuel in any motor vehicle, vessel, or aircraft.
An application can be made each quarter. Find out more and register.
You will need to contact NZTA online as their telephone contact centre is currently closed.
The Government will be introducing legislation making changes to the Companies Act to help businesses facing insolvency due to COVID-19 to remain viable, with the aim of keeping New Zealanders in jobs.
The temporary changes include:
- giving directors of companies facing significant liquidity problems because of COVID-19 a ‘safe harbour’ from insolvency duties under the Companies Act
- enabling businesses affected by COVID-19 to place existing debts into hibernation until they are able to start trading normally again
- allowing the use of electronic signatures where necessary due to COVID-19 restrictions
- giving the Registrar of Companies the power to temporarily extend deadlines imposed on companies, incorporated societies, charitable trusts and other entities under legislation
- giving temporary relief for entities that are unable to comply with requirements in their constitutions or rules because of COVID-19.
Find out more on the Companies Office website and speak to your accountant.